Are you looking for a way to remove excess fat from one part of the body and transfer it to another?
A fat grafting procedure, or fat injection, takes unwanted fat from various areas of the body and injects it into the places you want to add volume. The goal of a fat transfer is to give you a more shapely, proportionate, and contoured figure. Fat grafting is a safe, long-lasting, and relatively less-invasive cosmetic procedure known to render natural-looking results.
When to Consider a Fat Transfer Procedure
At Atlanta Liposuction Specialty Clinic, we’re committed to helping you achieve your desired body. Not sure if fat grafting will give you your desired results? If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, a fat transfer may help you achieve your body goals.
- Areas of your face appear creased or sunken in.
- You desire more permanent results than temporary dermal fillers can provide.
- You wish to improve your body contouring.
- Scars, body indents, and imperfections are making you feel self-conscious.
- You want to rejuvenate your hands or face.
- You want a fuller chest without using breast implants.
Where is Fat Harvested From?
The doctor uses your own body fat to perfectly smooth, shape, contour, and sculpt various areas of your body. The fat is harvested from the sites where you have the most excess fat. For most patients, common areas include the tummy and thighs.
Where Can Fat Be Transferred To?
Your own fat can be taken from various areas of the body and placed in areas that you actually want more volume. Read on to learn which parts of your body you can enhance with a fat transfer procedure.
The Butt – A Brazilian Butt Lift gives you a rounder, more voluminous bottom by harvesting your own fat and meticulously injecting it in your behind. You can achieve a more shapely backside without the use of a silicone implant. Using your own fat gives you a more natural-looking curvaceous buttock without the risk of your body rejecting the foreign implant.
Breast Augmentation – If you want the look of fuller, more voluminous breasts without undergoing a traditional cosmetic surgery like breast augmentation, a fat transfer can still make your chest larger using your own fat instead of breast implants. Breast enhancement with silicone or saline implants must be done by a board-certified plastic surgeon and is a much more invasive type of plastic surgery.
Fat grafting is also an option for breast reconstruction following a mastectomy. However, to achieve sufficient breast volume, you may have to undergo multiple fat grafting procedures to achieve your desired results.
Please keep in mind that ideal candidates should already like the shape of their breasts. If you’re someone who wants a significant increase in breast size or if you wish to correct sagging breasts, breast augmentation with fat transfer is not for you.
Body Imperfections – Do you have an indent somewhere on your body? Maybe you have a dimple from childhood injections? The doctor can use small amounts of your own fat to essentially ‘fill in’ spaces that you want to appear smoother.
Facial Rejuvenation – Fat transfers in the face can correct facial creases, smooth laugh lines, reduce forehead wrinkles, and help diminish crow’s feet. Fat can be taken from your tummy, thighs, and other areas of the body and be injected into your face. If you struggle with acne scarring or sunken areas of the face, lips, and cheeks, fat grafting may help give you the smooth skin you desire.
The Hands – Do you feel like your hands look excessively wrinkled? Wrinkled hands may be from the natural aging process, genetics, or excessive sun exposure. Hand rejuvenation with fat grafting can add volume to your hands to cover underlying vessels and tendons and improve your skin’s quality over time.
How is a Fat Transfer Procedure Performed?
Fat transfers are completed at our Atlanta Liposuction Specialty Clinic cosmetic surgery center. Your procedure will be done under local anesthesia to ensure you’re 100% comfortable throughout the entire process. Local anesthesia is much safer, more comfortable, and less-invasive than general anesthesia. This is an outpatient procedure, meaning you’ll be able to return home the same day as your surgery. For most patients, the procedure lasts a couple of hours from start to finish.
The surgical procedure involves three main stages: Harvesting, Purification & Transfer, and Injecting The Fat
- Harvesting – The fat is harvested from one part of your body with liposuction. The doctor will select the site for fat removal and create a small incision in the area. Again, this is usually in the tummy or thighs. Using a small tube called a cannula, the doctor inserts the tube that’s connected to a syringe to extract your excess fat carefully.
- Purification & Transfer – Once the unwanted fat is removed from the donor site, the doctor separates the fat collected from any blood and other fluids in a purification process. The goal is to remove any importing and prepare the healthy fat cells to be reinjected into your body.
- Injecting The Fat – The doctor preps whichever area is designated to receive the graft. Again, using a cannula or small injection needle (depending on which area of your body you’re having done), the doctor gently inserts your fat back into the site being augmented. Each time the doctor withdraws the needle or cannula, fatty tissue is deposited in your body’s natural fat tissue planes.
What to Expect Immediately After Your Fat Transfer Procedure:
After your transfer is complete and the doctor has achieved the appropriate contour, your cosmetic surgeon will immediately fit you with a compression garment. The compression garment helps “shrink” the skin at your liposuction site. You’ll have to wear the tight-fitting garment for an extended period of time. For most patients, the doctor recommends wearing it 24/7 for the first two weeks after surgery. However, every patient is unique. You’ll leave our office with clear aftercare instructions to ensure you get the results you desire.
Your doctor will also give you detailed instructions about your postsurgical care, including information about:
- Drains (if needed)
- Typical symptoms you will experience
- Any potential signs of complications
Aftercare & Recovery
In the days following your fat transfer, you may feel sore, and your skin will likely feel sensitive to the touch. Most patients use over-the-counter painkillers like Advil or Tylenol to help manage the pain. The doctor may prescribe stronger pain medication depending on how much fat was taken out. Always listen to your own body. Surgery procedures can take time to heal. It’s important to give your body ample time to heal and recover.
We suggest taking one or two days off of work following your procedure. The small incisions should heal relatively quickly, and in most cases, they don’t require much aftercare. You’ll receive specific instructions from your doctor regarding when you can shower, return to work, and resume regular exercise.
General Recovery Information
Please keep in mind every patient will have a unique experience. Atlanta Liposuction Specialty Clinic is always here to answer any questions before or after your procedure. We’ve compiled a list of common recovery tips and information to help you best prepare for your fat transfer procedure.
- Each patient’s recovery time and side effects will depend on the amount of fat removed.
- Swelling and bruising during the first week are expected. If you’re undergoing facial rejuvenation, we suggest taking at least a week off of work. You may not be entirely comfortable seeing others socially and professionally while you heal.
- Bruising and swelling in the liposuctioned areas will begin to diminish during the second week. You will still have swelling during the second week of recovery in the areas where your new injected fat sits.
- Side effects will usually improve during the second week of recovery. Downtime is still recommended. Most patients can resume light exercise.
- By the third week, you’ll begin to look and feel more like yourself. Your grafted fat will settle into your body.
- Once the swelling recedes, you’ll finally be able to see your results. This may take anywhere between 4-8 weeks.
Regardless of what type of cosmetic procedure you’re having, we always encourage you to do your research. To learn more about realistic expectations and what you can expect from a fat transfer, visit our Atlanta Liposuction Specialty Clinic office to learn more.